Posted to microsoft.public.excel.links,microsoft.public.excel.misc,microsoft.public.excel.printing,microsoft.public.excel.programming
Michelle Michelle is offline

Default Capture RS232 data

I'm sorry, I didn't make it clear. The data doesn't come from a computer, it
comes from a piece of dedicated machinery, and I want to plug a computer in
in place of the printer, to capture the data into a file instead of getting
printed.

Thanks

"Gary''s Student" wrote in message
All you need to do is to re-direct your printing from the RS-232 or
Centronics port to an internal file.

Start Settings... Printers Add a Printer
when the wizard asks to you assign a port, pick
FILE(print to file)
--
Gary's Student

"Michelle" wrote:

Hello, I work with a system that prints out receipts on a dedicated
little
printer whenever there is a transaction.

I want to be able to capture the information onto a laptop that I plug in
instead of the printer, and end up with it all in an Excel spreadsheet.

The printer connects to a multi-pin socket that looks like a COM port.
The data comes out (and I don't know what any of this means) as RS232,
1200
baud rate, with 8 data bits, 1 stop bit and no parity.

Can I get it dumped to disk in a format that Excel can read?

Should I have posted this in another newsgroup? If so, can anyone tell me
which one - I am a complete beginner when it comes to this kind of thing.

Many thanks