Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Biff Biff is offline

Default INDIRECT function inside AND function

Not sure I understand *why* this is happening but I know *what* is
happening.

The formula is being processed as an array (even though it is not an array
formula, that's just how the refedits work) and it evaluates to a #VALUE!
error:

=AND($E13="Y",INDIRECT("G"&ROW())="",$M13="")

Broken down in steps:

INDIRECT("G"&ROW())=""
INDIRECT("G"&{13})=""
INDIRECT({"G13})=""
{#VALUE!}=""
#VALUE!

Try it on the worksheet as an array and you'll see what I mean.

Biff

"andy62" wrote in message
Hey, that worked great, thanks.

So what was the flaw in my INDIRECT("G"&ROW()) approach? I tested the
function outside of the condition format and it worked fine.

"Biff" wrote:

Try using Offset.

I don't know what cell you're wanting to format but offset that cell by 0
rows and the number of columns from column G.

For example, if the cell being formatted was A13:

=AND($E13="Y",OFFSET($A13,,6)="",$M13="")

Biff

"andy62" wrote in message
I have the following formula as a conditional formatting test:

=AND($E13="Y",INDIRECT("G13")="",$M13="")

The INDIRECT function is testing to see if the cell in column G of the
same
row is blank. I need to use INDIRECT instead of a direct reference
because
the data in column G can get cut/pasted, and I need to hold the
reference
stable. But I need to copy this conditional format down 1500 rows, so
tried to change to INDIRECT("G"&ROW()). But it doesn't quite work,
because
the INDIRECT function tests out as "Volatile" instead of "TRUE"??
Anyone?