Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Jay Jay is offline

Default Calculating only non-empty cells...

Thanks Fred:

Now, as I attempt to populate the cells below which is row H6:S6, how would
I get that to fill in only a value in row H6:S6 or whatever based on the
populated cells above in H5:S5? This is where I get totally lost! Can you
help explain more clearly by example?

Thanks,...

"Fred Smith" wrote:

Rather than dividing by 12, just divide by COUNT(H5:S5). Count ignores blank
cells, so you'll get the total number of cells that have data.

Fred

"Jay" wrote in message
Guru's

I have a question which may be a brain buster! "Can I have Excel devide a
resulting value by only the number of cells containing data? Examle, I have
row/cells "H5" - "S5" values being calculted in a =Sum() function in cell
"U5", however, the total value is now looked at using a "VLookUp" function on
another sheet to see what the Tax liability is and places that value in cell
"V5" (Single) and "W5" jointly filing.

If ALL the cells from "H5" - "S5" contain income values, then, that is
great, all I need to is devide the total Tax liability by those 12 months to
get my monthly Tax liability value in cell "H6" - "S6"! But, what if the
values run from say; "M5" - "S5", can I have the Tax liability the devided
(calculated) by only those cells in "M6" - "S6"? I need the formula to look
at the cells in reverse from "S5" back to "H5", see if any are blank or empty
cells, trip those off and devide the total value in "V5" or "W5" by only
those cells placing the results in whatever cells need to show a value from
"S6" back to "H6"?

Is this possible, I know, it sounds crazy, doesn't it? But, really,...is it
possible?

Thanks, looking forward to hearing back from you guys....