Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

Default How do I set the default tab fill in excel?

Hi -- I'm a different poster. I followed these directions. My custom
colors are there whenever I open a new workbook or insert a new
worksheet. However, when I open a new file in Excel, it opens as
"SHEET.XLT" or "BOOK.XLT" andd defaults to the STARTUP folder. So it
seems that these custom color templates want to overwrite themselves.

I'm using Excel 2000.

Can you suggest what I should do to keep the custom color palette that
I created?

Thank you.

<*(((<

On Tue, 29 Aug 2006 09:01:35 -0700, Gord Dibben <gorddibbATshawDOTca
wrote:

The color of Tabs are determined by your Windows Color Scheme in Display
PropertiesAppearance.

You can, if using Excel 2002 or 2003, color the tabs by selecting all tabs and
right-click and "Tab Color".

To make this default, you could create a Template for all new workbooks.

Open a new workbook. Customize as you wish. FileSave
As Type: scroll down to Excel Template(*.XLT) and select. Name your workbook
"BOOK"(no quotes). Excel will add the .XLT to save as BOOK.XLT.

Store this workbook in the XLSTART folder usually located at........

C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Microsoft\Excel\XLSTART

This will be the default workbook for FileNew or the Toolbar button FileNew

Do not use FileNew...Blank Workbook or you will get the Excel default workbook.

Existing workbooks are not affected by these settings.

You can also open a new workbook and delete all but one sheet. Customize as
you wish then save this as SHEET.XLT in XLSTART folder also. It now becomes
the default InsertSheet.

More can be found on this in Help under "templates"(no quotes).

For second question.........I have not heard of a method of changing the default
on these.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Tue, 29 Aug 2006 06:19:02 -0700, rjdrw
wrote:

I have a flat panel monitor and it is very hard to diferentiate what tabs I
have selected by holding down shift or control and what are not selected for
a multiply copy, move, delete, etc. I would like to change the default tab
fill to a darker grey but cannot seem to find this anywhere. Also, changing
the angle of how I veiw the monitor does not help as the top of the screen
then is darker. Any help would be appreciated.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

Awaiting your responses with baited breath, I remain, yours truly,

<*(((<