Old August 4th 06, 10:56 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Biff Biff is offline

Default Populating a field based on lookup values

Hi!

Not sure I follow your setup but here is a sample file that does what you
want:

Sample file: Index.xls 13.5kb

http://cjoint.com/?iexXAsqp5e

Enter the number you want in A1.

Biff

"Sav_C" wrote in message

I have a spreadsheet which has columns with headings A-F. Under these
columns I have some number e.g. 5, 9, 12, 27, 36, 47.
i.e.
A B C D E F
5 9 12 27 36 47

I also have 6 blank columns headed RowA - Row F, plus a further 6 blank
columns called ColA - ColF.

I have a lookup table (7x7 grid) that maps rows and columns that I wish to
use. Basically the grid shows:
Column1 Column2 Column 3.... Column7
Row1 1 2 3... 7
Row2 8 9 10... 14
Row7 43... 49

I want to lookup the number displayed in A and find out which Row and
which
Column it lives in according to the table. i.e. the number 8 would be in
Row2, Column1.

I want to put the row result under RowA and the column result under
ColumnA.

I appreciate there probably a million ways of doing this and I really
don't
know Excel well enough to know the best one.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks.