Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
BretJacobs BretJacobs is offline

Default Links won't update unless files are actually opened

Simon,

Believe it or not, simply opening the exported file then saving it (without
renaming or otherwise manipulating anything) yields the expected result.

It must be something in the export process. I'll try and discover exactly
what the export options are on the Crystal Export, to see if we can nail down
the exact problem.

Who knew? Unfortunately there are 52 input files, so that's not an option
to open them all each time we do an update.

Oh well, thanks for your help!!!

"SimonCC" wrote:

My only guess is that the export file is not the exact proper excel format
even though it has an .xls extension. How about opening one of the exported
files, and save it over as type Microsoft Office Excel Workbook with the same
name. Then close that export file and open your summary report file to see
if it would update. If that doesn't work I don't really know what else to
recommend.

-Simon

"BretJacobs" wrote:

The export file is an excel worsksheet (the result of a Crystal Reports
export to excel), and it has an .xls extension.

"SimonCC" wrote:

The export file from Crystal Reports, is it an Excel file? or is it like csv
file and such? I think if it's not an Excel file, it wouldn't recognize the
cell structure until opened.

-Simon

"BretJacobs" wrote:

Yes I have, and to the other reply, yes the Update dialog box shows when the
file is first opened.

If I try "Edit Links Update Values", with the source files unopened, all
of the values go to #Ref, and from the "Edit, Links" menu, the status shows
"Error: Source not found".

Opening the source workbooks then causes all of the references to update,
automatically.

The source workbooks are Exports from Crystal Reports, could that have
anything to do with it?

"Michael" wrote:

Brett,

In your linked work book, have you tried

Edit Links Update Values

HTH

Michael

"BretJacobs" wrote in message
Having a tough time working with a linked file. I created a summary
report
that links to multiple unique separate worksheets. Links will not
update
(even if all varieties of F9 are tried [shift, ctrl, etc]) unless the
individual files are open also. All files are stored on my laptop's hard
drive, and are not mapped to any network drive.

I know that is NOT the way the links are supposed to work, as I have used
links many many times before. However, is there some trick to Office 2003
that I am missing?