Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Biff Biff is offline

Default Simple match and link

"bman342" wrote in message
Biff:

Might you need a "value" function for the "left" function, to derive the
numeric value to accurately compare?

Also, I've spent some time reading through these messages. I notice on a
some of your posts you put "--" [such as "(--LEFT(M2,7)..."]. What does
"--"
mean? Thanks.

That's what the double unary does, it converts a TEXT number into a NUMERIC
number.

Since the LEFT function returns a TEXT value the "--" comverts the result to
a NUMERIC number. You can do the same thing using any of these methods:

VALUE(LEFT(M2,7))
1*LEFT(M2,7)
0+LEFT(M2,7)
--LEFT(M2,7)

I just use the double unary as personal preference.

Biff