Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
CLR

Default insert date

Happy to help Larry, and thank you kindly for the feedback..........I enjoyed
your story too...........the best to you and yours as well.....

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"Larry" wrote:

chuck,
Thanks, my wife and I agree, we have the same philosophy and enjoy it much.
Sometimes we will be out at a restaurant and see someone or a couple and get
the waiter to just give us the bill, telling them only it is taken care of,
it's great to see their smiles and amusement. 'course one time I did this
when I spied a young man and his son, turns out they were having a birthday
party upstairs with 15 people! what a joyous surprise; we were blessed with a
good income then and thought little of it except to chuckle and swear to be
more aware next time. May you and yours have a great Independence day weekend

"CLR" wrote:

Oh, I don't drink or smoke since my Triple, but thanks anyway. One night
long ago I was on my way home from work at 10pm on the freeway as I lived all
the way across town, when my car quit running. I was poor, the gas read "E"
so I figured I had run out and hitch-hiked a couple of miles to a get-off at
a service station. The guy who picked me up waited for me and turned around
and drove me back to my car and waited for me to get it started. It wouldn't
start, so he said "I've been a Ford mechanic for 20 years, let me look at
it". He did and immediately found the Distributor cap to be broken in two
pieces. He said wait and went back to his car and returned with a brand new
one, put it on and the car started fine. I offered a Steak dinner, my 1st
born, anything in return for his kindness. He said only, "help someone else
whenever you get a chance"........If you really want to thank me, then you do
the same, "help someone else whenever you get a chance".

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"Larry" wrote:

Say Chuck, I know I'm gonna owe you a six pack or something by the time Im
done, do you happen to have a quick little bit of code that will open a drop
down each time an empty cell is clicked? Something that allows the user to
select from a list of pre-written entries? Just askin' Thanks again; oh and
what kind of beer or wine drink?

"CLR" wrote:

Glad you got it working...........and thanks for the feedback.

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"Larry" wrote:

Thanks chuck, You're great, I have it now. Your loyal servant : ) , larry

"CLR" wrote:

You're doing fine, it's just that this particular macro goes in the Worksheet
module, not the Workbook and not a regular module..........rightclick on the
sheet tab, then Viewcode, then in the small window on the left at the top of
the editor window, choose Worksheet, then paste the code in the large editor
window..........and if you copy/paste the macro out of your email, don't
forget to add the End Sub at the end.....post back if you still have problems.

hth
Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"Larry" wrote:

Goodmorning Chuck,
I have been trying to get the code you posted to work in my workbook but so
far have not. I did change the "1" to a "3", that's all. I pasted this code
into the "This workbook" with some other code I have:

Private Sub Worksheet_SelectionChange(ByVal Target As Excel.Range)
'Automatically inserts today's date in cell in column C when selected
'if the cell was empty. Does not overwrite occupied cell.
If ActiveCell.Column = 3 Then 'Limits macro action to column C
If ActiveCell.Value = "" Then 'Check to see if Target cell empty
Selection.Value = Date 'Insert today's date in Target cell
Else
End If
Else
End If

Sub Workbook_Open()
Columns("E:IV").Select
Selection.EntireColumn.Hidden = True
MsgBox "If you are entering a new waiver item, go ahead and enter it in the
next open line. When you are ready for a waiver number click in the empty box
and it will take you to the new waiver number generator; Follow the
instructions in the box there. To get a current date just select the empty
date box and hold down the Ctrl and ; keys, a new date will appear! When you
are done just click the RED X at the upper right to close, it will
automatically save your entries and the next time you need a number for any
waiver card the same steps will be taken: YOU NEED TO CLICK OK TO START
ENTERING DATA"
ThisWorkbook.Save
End Sub
noJoy

I then placed it into an existing module 1above this code:

Sub Workbook_Open()
Columns("B:B").Select
Range("B3").Activate
ActiveSheet.Hyperlinks.Add Anchor:=Selection, Address:="WAIVER%20NO.xls", _
TextToDisplay:=""

End Sub\
again, no joy
I next created a new module and pasted there and still no luck.

I am just too much of a novice to do this in a timely manner; Any more help?
Thanks man. larry
************************************

"CLR" wrote:

Actually, to change from column A to column C, you would change the line
from:
If ActiveCell.Column = 1
To:
If ActiveCell.Column = 3

The two "columnA" in the notations can be changed also, but are only
comments and do not affect the operation

Vaya con Dios
Chuck, CABGx3

"Larry" wrote:

Thanks again, I'll try thei right away. I take it I should replace A with C
to change target column? Take care, larry

"CLR" wrote:

This Change-event macro should do the job automatically......if the user
selects a cell in column that has a value therein, no affect.....if the cell
is blank, the macro will insert todays date.

Private Sub Worksheet_SelectionChange(ByVal Target As Excel.Range)
'Automatically inserts today's date in cell in column A when selected
'if the cell was empty. Does not overwrite occupied cell.
If ActiveCell.Column = 1 Then 'Limits macro action to column A
If ActiveCell.Value = "" Then 'Check to see if Target cell empty
Selection.Value = Date 'Insert today's date in Target cell
Else
End If
Else

"Larry" wrote:

Thanks CLR,
ans: yes and old dates remain.
Some of the folks usimng it can't seem to remember the ctrl ; keys. Thanks
for the help

"CLR" wrote:

A couple of questions.....
1-Are you wanting today's date inserted in an empty cell whenever it's
selected in a certain column?
2-What would you like to have happen to cells in that column being selected
that already contain a date, or some other value?

You can do nearly as good by just holding down the Ctrl key and pressing the
semicolon key.........this will insert today's date in the selected cell.

hth
Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"Larry" wrote:

Hi folks,
I'd like to inset a date automatically when ever a cell within a single
column is selected.
Can I do this?