Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Ardus Petus

Default "translate" numbers into words

Build a lookup table (in another sheet if you want, like Sheet2)
A B
300015 Staff Cost
300020 Engineer Cost
300030 Booze Cost

etc...

Then, in your original sheet, enter in column F:
=VLOOKUP(E20,Sheet2!A1:B50,2,0)

HTH
--
AP

"MivPiv" a écrit dans le message de news:
I have one column which contains cost numbers. Column E.
I would like to automatically "translate" the cost number into a word in
the
next cell in columnF

I hvave tried to do like this =IF(E20=300015;"Staff Cost") and that of
course works. But what do I do when I have 30-50 differetn numbers to
choose
from. i have tried to put more "IF's" in there and just continue the
formula
for each number/word - but that doesnt seem to help.

I appreciate any help I can get on this
Best regards,
Miv