Fred Evans

Hello Norman-- thank you for the help but I am still battling a bit.

The Phrase:-
"=Cell ("protect"A1)=)"
Would you mind translating this to me in " plain english " so I can get the
logic??

Is the "code" in vb or where can I get a "translation" ?

I tried to enter this code and there was no result

Thanks
Fred

"Norman Jones" wrote in message
Hi Fred,

If you are not otherwise using conditional formatting, with all cells
selected, try:

Format | Conditional Formatting | Select 'Formula Is' in the first box |
Iin the second box enter the formula: =CELL("Protect",A1)=0 |
Select a format to suit | Ok| Ok

---
Regards,
Norman

"Fred Evans" wrote in message
om...
My old dos spreadsheet (supercalc 5) used to colour the text of
protected cells in a different color ,(which made the entry of data
easy because the protected cells usually contain formulae ).When
reentering new data I was then able to select the whole spreadsheet
and "blank " all cells that are not protected in one keystroke.
This left all cells that were protected with there formulae intact and
highlighted in a different color.

Can anyone suggest the way to do this in EXCEL?

The ideal solution would be to create a format or a style that will
automatically be used whenever a cell is protected.

To go throught the whole sheet manually reformatting each and every
protected cell seem to be a very long way around a relatively simple
problem.

Regards from South africa