Jack Sheet

A slightly inelegant solution, this requires you to reserve a column in
which to reside some temporary workings. You can hide the column. Suppose
we use column Z for this purpose, and your SalesPersons occupy cells
$A$1:$A$100, with Sales in $B$1:$B$100

Then in cell $Z$1 enter the formula
=SUMIF($A$1:$A$100,A1,$B$1:$B$100)
Copy that formula down to $Z$2:$Z$100

Then in cell $E$1 enter the formula
=MAX($Z$1:$Z$100)
and in cell $D$1 enter the formula
=INDEX($A$1:$A$100,MATCH(E1,$Z$1:$Z$100,FALSE))

This formula will not distinguish a case where two+ salespersons equally
rank for maximum sales - it will simply return one of those salespersons.
Still, it may suffice for your purposes.

There is probably a way of getting to a formula for D1 that uses an array
formula without using the cells in column Z in the above example, but it is
just beyond my reach at the moment. As per my previous post, an alternative
formula for E1 is fairly trivial without resorting to column Z.

--
Return email address is not as DEEP as it appears
"Jim Gentile" wrote in message
If the A column lists the salespersons name, and the B column lists their
sales. I would like a formula that will total all individuals' sales, and
then list the top sales in a separate cell, with the name of that
salesperson
in the cell next to the totaled sales.

For example: based on the numbers below, I would like Amber to appear in
D1
and $297.69 to appear in E1. Thanks for your help.

Amber $158.69
Amber $139.00
Beverly $139.87
Beverly $41.90