CarlosAntenna

There is a hotkey to toggle this feature. It is ctrl` that's the key on the
top row next to 1. Maybe the cat was walking on the keyboard again.:)

Carlos

"fantasma" wrote in message
HEY! That did it! Thanks! Question: Do you think I must have

erroneously
checked this at some point in time? This computer/Excel program is only a
few months old ...... but I've done calculations with it previously.

(Maybe
I erroneously turned it on when trying to get this working??) Any

comments
as to how this went wrong??

Thanks for your help.

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

Are you viewing formulas?

Tools|options|View Tab
Uncheck Formulas if it's checked.

fantasma wrote:

I have no spaces in the formula ... preceding or within the formula.

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

Make sure you don't use leading spaces in your formula:

" =a1&b1 " without the quotes should be:
"=a1&b1" without the quotes

fantasma wrote:

Thanks for the feed back. Unforunately, I've not been able to get

either of
the techniques to work. (I tried the same when it was outlined MS

Help
area.) Do I need to "activate" something or some how enable the
"concatenate" function? Assuming I have 4 numbers in A1 and 4

letters in B1
... I'm typing " =a1&b1 " (without quotation marks) in cell C1

..... and all
I get is "=a1&b1" (again, w/o quotation marks).

Any other suggestions? Perhaps I have something 'over-riding'

the function
that needs to be changes?

Any comments will be appreciated.

"Norman Jones" wrote:

Hi Fantasma,

Assume the numerals are in Col B and the alphas are in Col C

=B1 & C1 (Concatenate without a space)

or

=B1 & " " & C1 (Concatenate with a space)

---
Regards,
Norman

"fantasma" wrote in message
I was able to separate a column into 3 components ... (3

columns) ... and
now
I want to re-combine two of them. I've tried to follow

instructions for
this
in the HELP area but cannot merge the two columns. (One

contains 4
alpabetical letters, the other 4 or 5 numbers.)

How can I do this?? I'm using the latest version of Excel w/

XP.

--

Dave Peterson

--