Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Chip Pearson

Default Conditional Formatting for more than 3 conditions

Note that Bob's code will run only when the cell's value is
changed by the user, not, as is the case with Conditional
Formatting, when the change is the result of a calculation.

--
Cordially,
Chip Pearson

"Bob Phillips" wrote in
message ...
It shouldn;t be an xls file but an xla file.

Here is a VBA example that sets the cell colour

On Error GoTo ws_exit:
Application.EnableEvents = False
If Not Intersect(Target, Me.Range("A1:H30")) Is Nothing Then
With Target
Select Case UCase(.Value)
Case "B": .Interior.ColorIndex = 5
Case "O": .Interior.ColorIndex = 46
Case "P": .Interior.ColorIndex = 7
Case "R": .Interior.ColorIndex = 3
'etc.
End Select

End With
End If

ws_exit:
Application.EnableEvents = True

'placed in the appropriate worksheet code module, not a
standard

HTH

Bob Phillips

"MMM" wrote in message
I tried downloading from the xldynamic site, but I think I am
doing
something wrong. I get a zip file, and when I extract files I
do not get a
.ini file only a .xls file and nothing happens after that.

Can someone help me write a Macro for this? It's simple:

I have to look down a range of columns and rows (Say A1: H30)
and, based

on
the text there, which could be one of the following letters:
1) G
2) R
3) N
4) Y
5) C
6) W

I need a different color for each type of cell: 1) G=Green
with dark green
font for the letter, 2) R=Red with red background and black
for letter R,

3)
N= Purple background and Yellow font, 4) Y=Yellow background,
black font,

5)
C=Blue background dark blue font 6) W= White background, blue
font,

I have no clue how to write a Macro, your help will be highly
appreciated,
thanks

--
MMM