Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
jayceejay

Default Merging Workbook Table data Based upon Value comparisons

Ron:

Thank you so much for your efforts. This isn't PRECISELY what I had in mind
but it is close enough for me to fashion a solution. I APPRECIATE what you
have done for me!

Jay

"Ron Coderre" wrote:

If this example describes your situation....

You have 2 workbooks: Book1 and Book2.
Each workbook contains a sheet, ListSheet, with a list of names.
You want to create a 3rd list which only contains the names common to boths
lists that are in Book1 and Book2.

-------------------------------
Then, you could try this:

Assumptions:
1)Each list has a heading, I'll assume "Names"
2)Each list starts in Cell A1 of the ListSheet
3)Each list has 10 names

The method:
For each list in Book1 and Book2,
B1: Num
B2:B11 (Enter a zero in of those cells)

Select A1:B11
InsertNameDefine
Names in Workbook: NameList
Refers to: (already selected)
Click the [OK] button
Save each workbook

Next:
Open a new workbook
Select cell A1 on any sheet
DataConsolidate
Function: Count
Use Labels in:
--Check: Top Row
--Check: Left Column
Browse to Book1.xls.
Reference : (will display the path to the workbook...Append NameList to that
path)
Click the [Add] button
Repeat for Book2.xls
Uncheck: Create Links to source data
Click the [OK] button

Excel will create a list of all names used in either list along with the
count of those names.
Names with a count of 2 are in both lists.

Something you could use?

***********
Regards,
Ron

XL2002, WinXP-Pro

"jayceejay" wrote:

I never did get much of an answer. Is there no one who could shed some light
on this?

Pretty please?

"jayceejay" wrote:

They are in separate workbooks.

"Barb Reinhardt" wrote:

Are you saying you have two workbooks, or are the tables within one
workbook?

"jayceejay" wrote in message
I have two workbook tables (Two different workbooks) with two matching
column
names. What I wish to do is to merge values from one table to another,
but
ONLY for those records inwhich these two columns have matching values.
Would
this be possible?

Jay