Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup
Sean

Default unhide menu bar in excel - just disappeared

Gord,

There was file with this extension, in my in the path you mentioned
yesterday, which I had renamed old yesterday, but it didn't make any
difference. I have done the search you mentioned and found two in an old
backup which I had done, due to some problems I was experincing. I opened one
of these files up using excel and from that point onwards it seems to be
working.

Thank you very much for your help and time to help me overcome this problem,
it is very much appricaitaed. I use excel a lot and in a matter of just a few
days it was driving me mad. Thanks again.

Kind regards

Sean...

"Gord Dibben" wrote:

Sean

Excel saves most configurations in the *.XLB file when you close it out.

After running the lines I gave you in the Immediate Window to enable those
items, Excel should save that configuration.

With Excel closed............

Do a file search for *.XLB. There may be more than one.

Change name(s) to *.XLBOLD or similar.

Re-open Excel and what do you get?

If your menu and right-clicks are still missing your problem lies with some
workbook opening that disables them.

Gord

On Sun, 4 Dec 2005 01:53:02 -0800, "Sean"
wrote:

Gord,
answers to questions below
projects dosn't look anything strange, but not sure exactly what I am
looking for.
No add-ins active
No Personal.xls
No Hidden files
No file in startup
changes revert back to as it was as soon as I close excel

any further options?

Many thanks for all so far

Sean...

"Gord Dibben" wrote:

Sean

You have an add-in or your Personal.xls opening with some workbook_open or
auto_open code that disables these items.

Hit ALT + F11 to see what workbooks/projects are showing up in the Project
Explorer.

Maybe one in there with some code.

Go to ToolsAdd-ins and see what you have checked in there.

You may have to uncheck all the add-ins then start Excel and add them back one
at a time until you find the one that is doing the deed.

Currently, do you see Personal.xls in WindowUnhide?

There are a couple of other options.

Check out your XLSTART folder for files that may be opening hidden.

C:\Documents and Settings\user\Application Data\Microsoft\Excel\XLSTART

In ToolsOptionsGeneral do you have a path in "At startup, only all files
in"?

If so, delete that path.

After you have a look around post back with the results.

Gord

On Sat, 3 Dec 2005 12:23:01 -0800, "Sean"
wrote:

Gord,

Is there any way of keeping this so it opens correctly every time I open
Excel. All this commands work but when I close Excel down all the changes
revert back to as it was before with out menu bar or right hand mouse options.

When I have got it back and in excel is there any options I need to choose
to make it permanent. I have deinstalled office and reinstalled it today, so
is this a registery setting.

"Gord Dibben" wrote:

Sean

For the row right-click try this line

Application.CommandBars("row").Enabled = True

For columns use "column"

Gord

On Sat, 3 Dec 2005 00:13:02 -0800, "Sean"
wrote:

Gord,

That's Great Thanks. My menu bar has all appeared, but the right hand mouse
button functions are still not working. When you highlight a row for example
you can right click and you get options to cut / paste / format ect. this is
something I do a lot to speed up my work, any Ideas

Sean...

"Gord Dibben" wrote:

Sean

Hit ALT + F11 to get to the Visual Basic Editor.

Do you have a menu here?

If so ViewImmediate Window.

Copy/paste this in there and hit ENTER.

Application.CommandBars("Worksheet Menu Bar").Enabled = True

Also.......

Application.CommandBars("Cell").Enabled = True

ALT + Q to go back to Excel Window.

OK now?

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Fri, 2 Dec 2005 08:22:02 -0800, "Sean"
wrote:

Zack,

There is no menu bar at the top of page. no option to go to file / view /
tools / edit can anyone help. In excel when you right click in cell / row
can't get options cut / paste/ format etc.

Sean...

"Zack Barresse" wrote:

Hello Sean,

Not sure what "right hand mouse functions" are, but try Tools | Customize |
Toolbars | Worksheet Menu Bar (checked).

Zack Barresse, aka firefytr, (GT = TFS FF Zack)
To email, remove the NO SPAM. Please keep correspondence to the board, as
to benefit others.

"Sean" wrote in message
I have been working in Excel 2003 and the menu bar and the right hand mouse
functions have all disapperaed, I can't find any help to get them back