Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson

Default Excel file automatically opens

You'll want to check the auto_open/workbook_open procedures in the other
workbooks. They may be opening trouble.xls.

Look for XLStart (using windows explorer). Maybe that'll help you find any
book.xlt files that you missed.

If you open a workbook and get that "this workbook contains macros", then excel
still thinks that it does.

Debra Dalgleish has some instructions:
http://www.contextures.com/xlfaqMac.html#NoMacros
to help clean it up.

=======
I was thinking that if you had buttons (on a toolbar or on a worksheet) that had
macros assigned to them that the assigned macros could still be pointing to
problem.xls.

But you'd have to run that macro (click the button) to open problem.xls.

I don't have any other guesses...

Maybe someone else has some.

Lost4Now wrote:

Thanks Dave:

Struck out!

No reference to the Trouble.xls file in the VBE Editor.

Yes, there are numorous macros in the Trouble.xls spreadsheet, but the
auto_open and workbook_open macros are clean.

I'm not familiar with the book.xlt file. Couldn't locate one with
Windows Explorer. Found some excel .xlt files in the
Template/Spreadsheet Solutions folder - but are not linked to any of
my files.

Doesn't matter if the other .xls files have macros or not. When they
are opened, Trouble.xls opens and of course will not close out until I
close out all other files that I have open.

Noticed one thing! One of the my files opens with the "Macro Caution -
Enable or Disable" thing-a-ma-jig. The file doesn't contain any
macros???? This is a new file that was created long after I began
having problems.

Any virus or hidden macros known to cause excel to act this way? I'm
using '97 and 2000!

Thanks - Dean Thomas

--
Lost4Now