Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Don MI

Default Why do some filename's appear blue instead of black?

"CRW" wrote in message
Here's probably a very simple question for a lot of you, but has left me
curious because someone in my office asked me this question (some of his
excel filename's appeared blue), and I didn't have a clue.

Please somebody explain to me why a filename (any MS Office filetype) is
sometimes displayed in a blue format instead of the usual black?

How useful is this characteristic other than making the file stand out
easily in a long list of similar files that have the black filename
format?

Answers appreciated, thanks!

Also, there is an option in Windows XP Disk Cleanup to compress old files.
If the person seeing blue {meaning compress} file names is running Disk
Cleanup and has the Compress Old Files box check, the files not used
frequently will be compressed. The compressed files can still be used as
Windows XP will just un-compress the file to use it. There is a slight
delay to un-compress the file, but in newer computers you are unlikely to
notice the delay.

Don