Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
dpb dpb is offline

Default Automagic Subtotals in Pivot Table

On 5/6/2021 1:40 PM, Claus Busch wrote:
Hi,

Am Thu, 6 May 2021 13:29:25 -0500 schrieb dpb:

Thanks, Claus. It doesn't seem to work with Excel 2016...whenever try
to Right click and subtotal, get error of

"A PivotTable report cannot overlay another PivotTable report"

in this case you have another PivotTable under the first one. Insert
rows between the PivotTables that the first one doesn't overlap the
second one if there is one more line per group is inserted.

Well, it's another mystery of Excel -- if I try the same thing and put
it on a new worksheet instead of on the existing one besides the data
range where it rightfully belongs, everything seems to work.

I don't understand the difference if the area on the existing sheet is
empty. If it is something about how a pivot table mushes rows together
into the groups that conflicts with other rows on the same sheet, that
also pretty-much makes it useless for this task if will have to keep
moving back and forth between worksheets.

That just won't be at all conducive to the task flow...

I had manually written a similar functionality with conditional
summations but seemed like should be able to get away from having to do
that.

Later I'll see if moving the data range to a brand new worksheet gets
rid of any old "stuff" hanging around behind the scenes from past
attempts just in case, but it looks right now like a non-starter,
unfortunately.

Thanks again for the feedback...

--dpb