Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
dpb dpb is offline

Default Automagic Subtotals in Pivot Table

On 5/6/2021 12:17 PM, Claus Busch wrote:
Hi,

Am Thu, 6 May 2021 11:58:48 -0500 schrieb dpb:

I don't yet understand much about pivot tables -- I can create one that
has such a sample data set as

B62503
Allied Health - Nursing $2,900.00
Allied Health - RT $1,500.00
Allied Health - ST $1,000.00
Allied Health-Sports Medicine $9,661.48

which is great in that it has everything for the accounting fund code
B62503, but ...

I have to manually collapse the group to get the subtotal and when do
that, the identifying main text goes away so it's "flying blind".

Is there not a way to get a subtotal in the group as well? -- Seems
pretty obvious thing one would want.

I then would like/need a way to autogenerate such pivot tables in a new
workbook instead of also having to create them manually.

1. PivotTable Options = Display and activate "Show expand/collapse
buttons
2. Right click to the groups and choose "Subtotals "Group""

Have a look:
https://1drv.ms/x/s!AqMiGBK2qniTgfBF...YM9WQ?e=msZb71

Regards
Claus B.

Thanks, Claus. It doesn't seem to work with Excel 2016...whenever try
to Right click and subtotal, get error of

"A PivotTable report cannot overlay another PivotTable report"

The "Expand/Collapse" buttons are shown; I can toggle them on/off and
when on they work and the total then shows but just the one-line, of course.

The overall grand total at the bottom shows, but no group totals.

I'll try to log on to the community college site and use updated Excel
and see if acts differently there. This is a real bummer as
is...pretty-much makes worthless other than pretty.

--dpb