Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Blythe Richardson Smith Blythe Richardson Smith is offline

Default How can we increment 1.9+0.1 and display 1.10 NOT 2.0 using formula

My solution would be to create a cell for each category number and a cell for each question number, then in the incremented cells use a formula to combine the text in your category and question cells.

Where A2 is your category number and B2 is your question number, your formula would read: =A2&"."&B2
Make sure to include the quotations around the period or whatever divider you choose. Also, you can use an absolute reference for your category ($A$2) so you can copy the formula down your column/row.
Using this method you will end up with an extra column or row of data with your category & question numbers but you can choose to hide those cells if you wish.

I hope this helps!

Blythe

On Wednesday, August 19, 2020 at 2:49:08 PM UTC-5, ymadi wrote:
Hello,
I'm trying to increment using two criteria; Category (Primary #) and
Question(Secondary #). Categories will be 1, 2, 3, and the questions
that fall under each category will increment by 0.1 (i.e. 1.1, 1.2,
etc..). I'm using the formula B2+0.1. It works great up until it reaches
1.9, but after that, it jumps to 2. It should display display it as
1.10.

Ive attached a screenshot to illustrate what Im trying to do.

One more thing (Sorry lol), I've also noticed that 1.10 will display as
1.1 creating a duplicate. I'll be using these numbers as IDs, so it's
important that they're unique..

Thanks in advance for all your help

|Filename: Increment Help.jpg |
|Download: http://www.excelbanter.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1069|