Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
GS[_6_] GS[_6_] is offline

Default Programmatic alternative to SendKeys

On Thursday, February 27, 2020 at 6:22:38 AM UTC-6, GS wrote:
On Wednesday, February 26, 2020 at 3:21:07 PM UTC-6, GS wrote:
Hi, I'm finding that SendKeys is somewhat flakey, as noted by many
people.

I'm using it in Excel to start and stop an external program, symbol
"RLT", but it does not always work, that is it will start but then not
stop. The same symbol "ST" is used for both actions.

The steps a

Application.SendKeys ("%")

Application.SendKeys ("RLT")

Application.SendKeys ("ST")

I have read that there is a VBA programmatic alterntive to this, can some
please guide me on how to write it?

Many thanks for all help. AM

What is the full name (path\filename) of the program?

--
Garry

Hi Garry, good to hear from you!

C:\RealTick\rt332.exe

As always, many thanks for your interest.

When RT332 is running, what is its window Title?

--
Garry

It doesn't have a window of its own. It operates in the background by
sending data into Excel. The ribbon has a button named "Realtick ©".
Clicking on it produces a drop-down box whose leftmost button is named either
"start" or "pause", either starting the data feed or interrupting it. This
is the action I'm trying to automate with a macro. It's easy using Sendkeys
but, as mentioned, this doesn't always work.

Thanks, Garry

Ok, so why are you using SendKeys if it has Ribbon controls?

Why add an additional macro to run a Ribbon menu when you could just click the
Ribbon menu? (OR you could add those as QAT buttons instead)

--
Garry

Classic VB Users Regroup!
comp.lang.basic.visual.misc