Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
programmernovice[_2_] programmernovice[_2_] is offline

Default Excel 2007 VBA Book

On Monday, December 23, 2019 at 6:09:22 PM UTC-6, GS wrote:
On Sunday, December 22, 2019 at 6:21:19 PM UTC-6, GS wrote:
"Excel 2007 Macro Programming With VBA" by John Walkenbach

Anything by this author is a good place to start. Note, though, that you
will still be using VBA6 while MS Office moved on to VBA7 in v2010. As
before, I encourage you to go with at least v2010 moving forward because it
is the base for all recent versions. (just saying v2007 is no place for a
serious developer to be *spending* time/energy to learn! Hang onto your
v2003 and pick up v2010 at the 1st opportunity!)

--
Garry

Classic VB Users Regroup!
comp.lang.basic.visual.misc
microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion

Thanks Garry. I now have 2007, and learning it's a huge step from 2003
particularly in the spreadsheet layout and details. Do you think I should
additionally buy 2010? What do you see as the major differences between 2007
& 2010? As always your input is very useful to me, thanks.

2007 is the 1st release of the Office Ribbon interface, and still runs VBA6 as
its macro language. In 2010 the Ribbon was redesigned/updated to the current
interface, and Backstage (File tab) replaced the Office Button. You can do a
lot more with 2010 and on in terms of customization. In fact, there are 2 modes
for the XML: customUI.xml and customUI14.xml. The latter only works with 2010
and on; the former only works with 2007.

IMO, you should be able to get a copy of MS Office 2010 Pro dirt cheap so you
have at the very least current UserInterface features and the latest version of
VBA for programming. For my stuff I keep 2003 and 2010 installed as a base set
for old/new formats. I also have 2013/2016/365 installed for testing so I have
all the bases covered. Addins written in 2003 still work all the way up to 365
so you are covered if you need to cater to both early/late formats. Anything
newer than 2010 will still be costly but 2010 is also a fairly stable release
for development purposes.

The Walkenbach books are a great place to start learning programming. The
Developer-toDeveloper series from Wrox are a good 'next step', but the ultimate
developer guide is "Professional Excel Development" from hear:

http://www.appspro.com/Books/ProExcelDev.htm

--
Garry

Classic VB Users Regroup!
comp.lang.basic.visual.misc
microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion

Thanks Garry, with your detailed information I should be able to decide intelligently. Just a question: You indicated you have Excel 2003 and all versions that followed installed. Do they not interfere with one another? As always, I grealy appreciate your interest.