Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
iliace iliace is offline

Default Get current time NOW() but stop it updating

On Tuesday, April 2, 2019 at 11:02:03 AM UTC-4, wrote:
On Tuesday, April 24, 2018 at 1:41:39 AM UTC-5, wrote:
On Tuesday, September 29, 2009 at 3:02:01 PM UTC+5:30, goneil wrote:
I want to time stamp a cell automatically with the current time (ie) without
the data entry operator having to do anything, however I don't want it to
update all the time I want it to just remain as is permenantly. I cannot
make NOW() stay the same.
Cheers

I have a similar query. I want to generate a timestamp in Column C whenever someone enters any complaint in Column B.
So I have used this formula in all the cells of Column C
"=IF(B3="","",TEXT(NOW(),"dd/mm/yy/hh:mm"))"

But the problem is that the timestamp keep getting updated. I want to lock it down to the initial timestamp.
Can you suggest any code for this?
Thanks

--

<https://www.somaiya.eduÂ* Â* Â* Â* <http://www.somaiya-ayurvihar.orgÂ*
<http://nareshwadi.orgÂ* <http://somaiya.comÂ* <http://www.helpachild.inÂ*

Has anyone come up for a solution to this one? I would also like to do the same. I would like to enter a callers name into column C, then have the NOW time populate into column B. currently this works but it will update. I would like to know how to eliminate the updating.

One solution without VBA is to use circular reference to stop the cell from calculating. For example, in cell A1:

=IF(A1=0, NOW(), A1)

But you have to have circular references turned out, which might slow down calculations and cause unintended consequences.