Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
[email protected] dr.mswilson37@gmail.com is offline

Default wrap text function causes data to disappear in cell (visually

On Tuesday, November 3, 2015 at 11:20:42 AM UTC, wrote:
On Wednesday, 6 March 2013 03:06:20 UTC+2, wrote:
THANK YOU LAKIN!!!

I'm so glad your post is still here 6 years later (March 2013).
I have Excel 2010 and was having the same problem as everyone else on this thread. I tried Excel /o...didn't work :(/

Then tried your method. Turned off my desktop on the 2nd monitor, opened Excel to see it work correctly. I then extended my desktop back onto the 2nd monitor and Excel is still handling the word wrap and auto size correctly.

Wow...I spent over an hour surfing the net for a solution. Found nothing till I came here. Thought I was going crazy...Microsoft crazy.

Who knew that dual monitors screwed up the wrap/auto-adjust in Excel?

Lakin did.

;0)

On Wednesday, June 7, 2006 3:05:19 PM UTC-5, wrote:
I also have this issue. The main differences are that I'm using Excel
2000, and XP. It's on a laptop using dual monitors, but switching
monitors doesn't help.

I've tried the instructions below (Excel /o) and it does not fix my
problem.

Lakin

2015 - Hidden Text on excel: i am super super grateful to Lakin. disabling the extra screen completely and working on my Laptop only. and not disconnecting BUT disabling the monitor worked wonders. I was so frustrated for the whole 2 hours searching the NET like crazy

Well, it's 2017 and I'm having the same problem but can't resolve it using the start menu because Apple doesn't seem to have the same menu as microsoft. I'm using Office for Mac 2011.
However, what is doubly confusing is that this is only happening with one lot of text from a Word document. I have successfully copied and pasted (and wrapped) text from other word documents on to the same Excel spreadsheet - in adjoining cells.
A possibility is this: The original Word document was completed using assistive software (Dragon) and I received it as an Email attachment. I added text to the document (in the midst of the existing text) using straightforward typing on my Mac. I have copied and pasted the required text (the ordinary typing) onto another Word document and altered the formatting just to remove new paragraph (enter) characters. It is this text that disappears when I try to use wrap in Excel. I've tried 'paste special' and that doesn't work.
Could the assistive software be responsible for having some hidden influence?

I have just resorted to typing the whole of the affected text into the cell (and then the formula bar as I'd clicked off the cell briefly). At first it continued doing the same thing so I copied it from the formular bar and pasted it into a different cell in the same spreadsheet. The text wrapping worked! I deleted the part of the column that the affected cell was in and then cut the cell that worked and pasted it. It now seems to be behaving properly!

I also tried typing some rubbish at the end of the Word document after the text written with Dragon (instead of in the middle of it) and copying and pasting that into Excel. That worked fine.

Therefore, I suspect that there is some mysterious formatting software that accompanied my text into Excel and corrupted that particular cell. (I'd obviously tried using different cells before but using the affected text).

Maybe some of the questioners on this thread had got text that had used some other means than straight typing to write it?