Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
GS[_6_] GS[_6_] is offline

Default Margins and cell widths

On 08/02/2016 14:17, GS wrote:
On 07/02/2016 18:24, GS wrote:
That's great, Brian! Glad to help and I appreciate the feedback.

I know the RowHeight is font-dependant and so is the reason the
value
doesn't 'jive' with ColumnWidth. For example, to set up a sheet
for
creating forms I start with a graph paper layout grid. Using
Arial 8pt
as my default font...

RowHt = 12.00
ColWd = 2.00

..to get square-ish cells so I can manage options as checkboxes
or
choices directly on the form via Worksheet events. Naturally the
gridlines are turned off so I use the 'dotted' border style for
field
input areas. My point is.., changing to a taller font or larger
font
size makes the cells more rectangular vertically and so messes up
the
square appearance of my bordered option cells.<g

The real point is that Excel is not a layout program. If one is
really serious about the final print layout one should use
something
like Crystal Reports or possibly InDesign. I have used Crystal
Reports - I found it very difficult but it is an amazing program -
with it one can achieve the precise layout that one wants
extracting
data from one or more Excel spreadsheets, correct to a fraction of
millimetre. (By the way, Crystal Reports is very expensive!).
Using
Excel for print layout will always be for the poor man, poor in
time
and poor in money!

Regards

Brian

Um.., I basically disagree with your assessment of Excel as a
layout
program. The precision is in pixels, and is very accurate. So
unless
you're doing counterfeiting, I can't imagine why anyone would need
finer
precision or another app for reporting.

As for time.., well that depends on skill level. Poor in time means
'don't have' and so suggests using your other apps is more time
consuming. On average, it takes less than 1 hour to publish a
1700-1800
row worksheet as an ebook complete with TOC (bookmarks) navigation,
images, and internal cross links.

On reflection I guess you are correct. I have very little knowledge
of Excel and only a little more of Crystal. Further, although I use
to be a C programmer before I retired, I know very little about VBA.
Hence, I think my comments were ill-judged. You are, of course,
absolutely right also about time. Time equals experience. I have
spent many hours trying to write a simple vba routine which I could
have written in a few minutes in C.

Kind regards

Brian

Yes, programming languages are somewhat challenging when we switch from
one to another. I started programming VBA and included VB6 within a
year. I duplicated my Excel addins as stand-alone Win apps using the
Farpoinr Spread.ocx. I tried duplicating this VB6.exe in C++ and I can
say it was a bit daunting, though I was able to succeed complete with
CHM help. Had to go MFC for the ocx to work in C++ 2008, but works nice
in VS6 C++! I'll stick to VB thank you!<g

--
Garry

Classic VB Users Regroup!
comp.lang.basic.visual.misc