Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
[email protected] billschlossberg@gmail.com is offline

Default Converting from Decimal to Base-36 in Excel Formula

Reno, I did this with a reverse vlookup table, similar to a rainbow table, using Sauralf's excellent formula. Not ideal, but it works. Be careful though--too many rows and your machine will use all available memory. I kinda solved that by using a constant start and constant interval in my decimal reverse formulas (abs reference), but intermediate values must still be interpolated, similar to the way we used log and trig tables in the back of our math book in the 70's. That approach could be further refined by varying the interval based on the 36-cimal string length. I think I just made up new math terminology--where is Mr Pulitzer? That is even further problematic if trying to build something more universal; for instance to work with any plugged base, like 22 or 101, for which Sauralf's formula works, up to base 256, though the ASCIIs look odd.
I find this really interesting. The 36-cimal equivalent of 100,000 takes only 4 places.
I believe a proper Excel formula would require complex use of conditionals, powers and factorials that would be VERY difficult and long, and somewhat complicated and slow in VB, but MatLab or C might handle.

For amusement; using "the Sauralf formula:"

Decimal Number Base Decimal Converted to Base-cimal
100,000,000,000,000 127 N_š{Z3J
100,000,000,000,000 199 1°ŒÒÊâE (I like Primes)

And how WOULD one compile an n-cimal prime list?

How many sub-atomics in the known universe anyone? Perhaps around
N_š{Z3J ^ Œ in 251-cimal?

Makes calculating π in binary seem like kid stuff. Would quantum computing handle this?

Stretching my math skills and imagination here, but this was fun.