Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
joeu2004[_2_] joeu2004[_2_] is offline

Default Convert Base 36 to base 10

wrote:
On Monday, 8 February 2010 22:40:01 UTC+5:30, David wrote:
I have been given a spreadsheet with transaction numbers
converted into base 36

[....]
@Rick Rothstein
I saw your posts. Thanks for those. But I feel 0,1,2,...9
and A,B,C till Z adds up to 10 plus 26 equals 36 and not 37
as you have mentioned. Please tell me where am I going wrong.

Where did you go wrong?

First, you are responding to comments made 4 years ago. Obviously, the
discussion is stale (read: dead).

Second, you fail to quote the comments you are responding to, namely Rick's.
So we have no context.

Finally, you are repeating comments that were already made in the 4-year-old
discussion, and Rick admitted his mistake.

Here is the complete context.

Rick wrote:
Are you sure your numbers are Base 36? I ask because I kind of
suspect your "digits" are these...
and if that is the case, then you actually have Base 37 numbers
and not Base 36.

I wrote:
No, that's base 36. A thru Z represent the 26 values 10 thru 35.
Google "base 36" or see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Base_36 .

Rick wrote:
yes, I screwed that up... thanks for point it out to me.