Quilp Quilp is offline
Junior Member

if your values are in column B then insert an empty column right from B
and enter following formula:
=--RIGHT(B1,COUNT(RIGHT(B1,COLUMN(1:1))*1))
and enter the array formula with CTRL+Shift+Enter and copy down. Select
this column and copy it, then insert = Paste special = Paste values
and delete column B.
If formatting doesn't work click on column header, format the column
with your wished format and choose Data = TextToColumns = Fixed Width
= Finish

Regards
Claus B.
--
Win XP PRof SP2 / Vista Ultimate SP2
Office 2003 SP2 /2007 Ultimate SP2[/quote]

I am sorry Claus but I still can't get this to work - no doubt due to my lack of experience of worksheets.
However, I have now done it the hard way - I have deleted both the letter and the apostrophe from each of the 400 or so cells, one by one, using the delete key. It took me ages but now I have been able to use the Max formula.

I have saved a copy of my worksheet as an "Exercise Sheet" which I will use to practice on in order to learn more about spreadsheets and, hopefully, to enable me to follow forum members suggestions in the future.!