Quilp Quilp is offline
Junior Member

[quote=Claus Busch;1613831]Hi,

Am Thu, 12 Sep 2013 15:57:52 +0100 schrieb Quilp:

I now have a further question - rather than having to reverse the
sortings, when I need to find the last number allocated in order to use
the next one for a new recording entry, is it possible to find this
number by using the "find" feature or in some other way?

I don't really understand what number you are looking for.
If you have sorted by composer the numbers are not in order.
The last number in column B you get with:
=LOOKUP(2,1/(B1:B1000),B:B)
But the highest number you get with:
=MAX(B:B)

Yes - the numbers are not in order which is the problem when I need to find the highest number so that I can allocate the next one to a newly entered recording.
=LOOKUP(2,1/(B1:B1000),B:B) returns REF
=MAX(B:B) returns 0

I have now made it possible to find quickly the highest number in my cataloguing sequence by inserting an extra column, now column A, and entering sequential numbers into it. However, this seems a clumsy way to do it.