Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
JLGWhiz[_2_] JLGWhiz[_2_] is offline

Default Run time error '91'

Failing statement
'insert a blank column for new month's data
wbYTD.ActiveSheet.Columns("Q:Q").select

Either:

wbYTD.ActiveSheet.Columns(17).Select

Or:

wbYTD.ActiveSheet.Range("Q:Q").Select

"cfstibo via OfficeKB.com" <u57261@uwe wrote in message
I am trying to manage a "rolling" 12-month spreadsheet. The intent is to
insert a blank column ("P") and copy an existing columns format into the
blank column so that I can then enter a new month's data. The program
fails
with a "Run time error '91' Object variable or With block variable not
set"
message at the indicated statement below:

'copy the format of columen P
wbYTD.ActiveSheet.Columns("P").Select
Failing statement
'insert a blank column for new month's data
wbYTD.ActiveSheet.Columns("Q:Q").select
xlYTD.Selection.Insert Shift:+xltoRight

The failure occurs the first time the code is run against the Excel file.
Following a re-boot, the program executes as expected and producees the
proper output. I have a feeling this has to do with Early or Late binding
but, as a novice, I'm not sure I understand what that's all about or how
correct the problem if that is what it is. Help me, please!