rmellison

Hmmm,

Seems that this method hasn't worked after all. On Friday I had it sorted
for one data set, but have tried to add a second today and i come back to the
same problem. The two data sets are plotted against their categories, such
that the x-values of one don't correspond to the x-values of the other; it
merely aligns the nth point of one set with the nth point of the other set.

I can't see away around this one. I think to get the desired plot I'll have
to maintain a scatter type chart, but the best I can hope for on the x-axis
is 60 to 140, using my 'helper' column. The problem is the secondary axis
will not display as 60-100-60 if the type is kept as a scatter chart!

Any other suggestions? If not, I may have to admit defeat on this one....

"bj" wrote:

I missunderstood what you wanted to do.

It is not as complex as it sounds but

I think you will need to set up an artificial x axis
in a helper column for each data set
set up one of the two equations
= the value
=200- the value (for those going back down towards sixty)
plot the two data sets in xy against the helper columns as the x axis
select the axis and make the min be 60 and the max be 140

in another column
enter 60,70,80,90,100,90,80,70,60
and next to it
1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1
add this data set to the chart
select this data set and change axis to secondary
then <chart< chart type select line

in <chart<chart options<axis select secondary x axis
format the axis such that you deselect the y axis crosses between catagories

hide the othe X axis

"rmellison" wrote:

Thanks, but not what I'm looking for. Need to be able to plot two sets of
data against the same scale, but the scale has to be from 60 up to 100 then
back to 60. Don't know how to do that in a scatter chart, and a line chart
won't match the data to the scale because it works on the number of
categories.

"bj" wrote:

there can be two x axis in a scatter chart.
first select one of the data series and <axis select secondary

"rmellison" wrote:

I have many sets of data for which the x-values run up from approx 60 to 100,
and back down to 60ish. Each set of data consists of 200 points. I can
happily display each set individually on a scatter chart, with the categories
from, 60 (at point i=1)to 100 (i=100) to 60 (i=200). My probably occurs when
I want to display two sets of data on the same graph. For each set, the
x-values vary, for example another set could run from 65 to 95 then back to
65, but it still contains 200 points. Excel will only allow one set of values
on the category axis, so only one data set will be correctly represented by
the x-values. Using a scatter graph uses numerical x-values rather than
categories, so my x-values only go from 60ish to 100ish, which is not what i
want.

Is there any way to use numerical values on a line chart, and have each data
set represented correctly against the x-axis? Or similary can I create a
scatter graph with x-values running from 60 to 100 to 60?

Any help greatly appreciated.