Harlan Grove

David R. Norton MVP wrote...
JE McGimpsey wrote in:
What benefit to anyone is there in presuming illegal intent, given that
the cracks are commonly available and cheap?

OK, so the availability of Office 2003 in Warez groups means that robbing
the legitimate publisher of the software is all right?

I can't see the ready availability of cracks is justification for using
them.

As even you have pointed out by your ridiculous suggestion for an
on-site support call, there are occasions on which it's legitimate to
remove passwords. When are there legitimate occasions to download
commercial software?

Your argument is similar to saying that because handguns are often used
to commit violent crimes, one should never tell anyone where the
nearest gun shop is located, and besides it's illegal to buy .50
machine guns!

Especially since the OP, in this case, presumably used his real name and
address, despite MS's warnings not to?

And how do you know he used his real name? I notice while you're defending
him you use the word "presumably" so is it possible you also have some
doubts?

Did you miss the word 'presumably' or do you not understand its
meaning?

The point is that you can either assume posters have legitimate or
illegitimate intent. If you believe they have illegitimate intent, you
won't prevent those of us who assume legitimate intent from replying.
So what is the point of your participation in these cases? Parading
your own self-impotant sense of moral rectitude would seem to be the
only purpose served.

MHO differs from yours. Next next time I see some disreputable person trying
to open a new luxury car with a coat hanger should I just assume it's his car
and he has a right to it? Isn't that pretty similar to what you're saying?

Not quite accurate in this case.

The analogy would be closer to Eric can't get into a particular car, he
hasn't stated explicitly that it's his car, and it's pretty clear he
can't open it on his own. He doesn't like the price quoted by Moe's
Garage to open the lock and has asked for cheaper alternatives. Some
other posters have directed him to AAA. Presumably AAA would want to
remain in business so would check that Eric had legal standing to open
the file in order to avoid being criminal accessories.

Despite this obvious chain of reasoning, in gallop the net-nannies to
claim that this COULD be illegal, so no one should offer to help Eric.