GarethG

Whenever I build a new pivot table and start grouping, I generally place
the pivot field item (in your case 'Date') in the pivot row area,
without any other field dropped into the pivot table.
From here I right click then select group, and grouping options etc.
However, in some instances where the source data has been 'dirty' I
have had problems grouping when there where blanks or NULL values in my
original data, so if it is possible in your case, try and filter this
out before supply the data to your pivot table

Regards
GarethG

--
GarethG