Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Gareth[_6_] Gareth[_6_] is offline

Default Return Information from Shell Command

There might well be a more elegant solution (and indeed this might not
work) but you could try using "" to output the returned data to a file
rather than the screen. e.g.

Function fcnGetConfigLocation() as string

DIm var as long
Dim myPath as string
DIm F as integer

Var = Shell("Getconfig c:\temp.txt")

'assuming file just contains one path

F= Freefile
open "c:\temp.txt" for input as #F
input #F, mypath
close #F

kill "c:\temp.txt"

'check path exists
myPath = trim(mypath)
if dir(mypath) < "" then _
fcnGetConfigLocation = myPath

End Function

HTH,
Gareth

Andibevan wrote:
Hi All,

I have a dos command that lists the location of a config file associated
with a program.

This works fine from a dos prompt but can I use the Shell command in such a
way that the location of the config file can be returned into VBA?

Something like Var = Shell("Getconfig") (I am aware that doing this merely
would set Var = process thread associated with shell)

Thanks

Andi