Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Robert11[_2_] Robert11[_2_] is offline

Default Keeping Leading Zeros; How Please ?

---- I apologize if this is a duplicate posting; having problems with
my Postings via eternal-September ----

Hello,

This is really driving me crazy; have tried just about everything I
can think of.
Using Excel 2007.

I have some time data in a column.
It's in GMT, and looks like, e.g., 0430 which would be 4:30 AM

All the manipulation which I want to do with the GMT time drops any
leading zeros.

e.g. 0030 would become just 30

Have tried formatting the GMT column as number, general, and text;
nothing works.
Doesn't seem to be any GMT format in Special or Custom.

How can I tell Excel to keep all the leading zeros ?

BTW: not to complicate my question any, but the column of GMT data
came from a spreadsheet that is not mine. The column was formatted as
a zip code. My guess is that the creator also had problems with
leading zeros, and found, possibly, that this was the only format that
allowed
him to show the GMT. My problem is trying to do some manipulation
with the column, and some simple math on it, and still have it show
the leading zeros.

Much thanks,
Bob