How do I calculate times each word occurs in a column of cells?

Old July 18th 06, 06:42 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
MTSusce

Default How do I calculate times each word occurs in a column of cells?

Rather than use a complicated array formula, is there a simpler way to
determine how many times a particular word occurs in a range of cells in a
column? Thank you.
Old July 18th 06, 06:53 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

If the word only occurs once per cell (or 0 per cell):

=countif(a1:a100,"*yourword*")

If the word can occur more than once in a cell, then you'll need something else.

Old July 18th 06, 08:04 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
MTSusce

Thanks, Dave. :^) Meg

Old July 19th 06, 01:30 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
RagDyeR

<<<"If the word can occur more than once in a cell, then you'll need
something else.">>>

Here's one "something else"<g>, with word to count entered into C1:

=SUMPRODUCT(LEN(A2:A100)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(UPPER(A2:A100),UPPER(C1),"")))/LEN(C1)

RD