how do i get only the decimal value in excel

Old July 14th 06, 05:38 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
vardoo

Default how do i get only the decimal value in excel

i just want to retrive the decimal value for a paticular number eg (23.45 , i
just want 45). is there an inbuilt function in excel?

thank you
Old July 14th 06, 05:38 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Scott P

Hi -- there is a way to return the fractional part of a number (in a
fractional form) using a function (or two) in Excel.

If you want a positive value for the fractional part of the number
(irrespective of the sign of your particular number), place your number of
interest (e.g. 23.45) in cell A1 and try this formula: =ABS(A1-TRUNC(A1))

If you want the fractional part of the number to reflect the sign of your
particular number (e.g. -0.45 for -23.45), place your number of interest
(e.g. 23.45) in cell A1 and try this formula: =A1-TRUNC(A1)

I hope that helps.

Old July 14th 06, 06:26 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
MartinW

Hi vardoo,

=A1-INT(A1) will return 0.45

=(A1-INT(A1))*100 will return 45

HTH
Martin

Old July 14th 06, 02:32 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Scott P

Thanks, Martin. Vardoo and Martin -- I would only note two things regarding
the two formulas below (1) if you use INT instead of TRUNC with negative
numbers, different results will be returned for different numbers (e.g. the
below INT formula will return 0.55 if you pass in -23.45 as the argument --
the Excel help file provides good coverage of the difference between INT and
TRUNC) and (2) the use of a multiplier to remove the decimal point from the
result can get more involved if you are not sure that the fractional part of
the number will contain two digits (e.g. 45).

I hope that helps.