Countifs and multiple columns...

Old June 9th 06, 02:55 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Countifs and multiple columns...

Hi,

I have 2 columns of data. The first has a list of names, the second a list
of scores.

Fred 6
Fred 5
Joanne 5
David 4
Joanne 6

I want to use COUNTIF along these lines:

=COUNTIF(A1:A500,"Fred" and B1:B500,6)

But know it doesn't work. I have seen SUMPRODUCT bandied about but not
really sure if that'll help. Any ideas?

Thanks
Old June 9th 06, 03:29 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi Ajayb,

try to use

=sumproduct(--(a2:a6="Fred")*(b2:b6=6))

does this helps?