how to make a formula ignore blank cells

Old June 6th 06, 01:20 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default how to make a formula ignore blank cells

I'm trying to create a league table but the formula I'm using recognises
blank cells as zero - before any results are input.

My formula (for a tied game) is =if(k3=l3,"1") awarding 1 point for a tie /
draw.

However, my league table shows a tie / draw before the game is played! How
do I get the formula to ignore the cell until data is input?

Thanks in advance
Old June 6th 06, 01:29 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Try this, assuming the scores are placed in K3 and I3:

=IF(OR(K3="",I3=""),"",IF(K3=I3,"1"))

This gives a blank if either K3 or I3 are blank. Your formula does not
check for K3 being larger or smaller than I3.

Hope this helps.

Pete

Old June 6th 06, 01:32 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Snap, one way,

=IF(K3="","",IF(K3=L3,"1",""))

--
Paul B
Using Excel 2002 & 2003

/

Old June 6th 06, 01:38 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Sounds like you need to add some logic to your formula for the case where the
cells are still blank. The following formula should help with that.

=IF(AND(k3=l3,AND(k3<>"",l3<>"")),1,"")

This will leave the cell blank in the case that k3 and l3 are not updated
yet and are still blank.
I do question your wanting to put a value of "1" if there is a tie. By
putting the one in quotes the field will be recognized as text in excel and
will not be helpful if you are planning on doing some calculations using
these numbers later. If you are planning on doing some calculations then I
would not include the quotes.

Old June 6th 06, 01:44 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I see you approved one of the prior solutions, but I would try and avoid the
"or" statement if there is a chance one of the two fields you are comparing
can be blank. By having an "And" statement then both fields being blank must
be satisfied.

Old June 6th 06, 02:11 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Thanks, Pete, but this still seems to assume the blank cell is zero - if I
put a space in between "". If I don't put a space, a Value error appears. My
Full formula reads

=Sum(IF(K3=M3,"1")+IF(K5=M5,"1")+IF(K7=M7,"1"))

- giving an answer of 3 even if cells are blank. I need the answer to be 0
until scores are input. Any further suggestions?

Thanks

Old June 8th 06, 12:54 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

> Thanks, Pete, but this still seems to assume the blank cell is zero -
> if I put a space in between "". If I don't put a space, a Value error
> appears. My Full formula reads
>
> =Sum(IF(K3=M3,"1")+IF(K5=M5,"1")+IF(K7=M7,"1"))
>
> - giving an answer of 3 even if cells are blank. I need the answer to
> be 0 until scores are input. Any further suggestions?

It looks like maybe:
K3 = team score for game one
M3 = opponent score for game one
K5 & M5 likewise for game 2; and K7 and M7, for game 3

If so, maybe the following formulas will help
O3 contains points for win
=IF(K3&M3="","",2*(K3>M3))
and copy down to row 5

P3 contains points for tie