Matching data in one column to another

Old January 13th 05, 10:11 PM
excel idiot

Default Matching data in one column to another

I have a worksheet set up with a person's name and SS#. I then have to
import (copy and paste) more data ( person's name and SS#) onto this
worksheet. I then have to match the names of the people to the ones that are
currently on the worksheet. I have been going through this manually and it
is taking me forever. Is there a formula where I can search the new data
against the inital data and have the new data line up on the same row as the
intial data, assuming it is an exact match?
Old January 14th 05, 03:15 PM
David Jessop

The =MATCH function is probably what you need. Suppose your existing data
is in A1:a20 and the new data in D1 then put

=MATCH(D1,A1:a20,0) into (say) F1 and this will either give you the position
of your data in the existing array, or #N/A if it doesn't exist.

HTH,

David Jessop