How to format a phone number in Excel

Old May 12th 06, 04:33 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default How to format a phone number in Excel

I can't get a column of numbers, 9999999999, to format as a phone number,
(999) 999-9999. I've tried phone number format, as well as what I found in
this discussion group and nothing has worked. Any new suggestions?
Old May 12th 06, 04:41 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You may try a formula like this:
=TEXT(A1,"(###) ###-####")

Hope this helps,
Miguel.

Old May 12th 06, 04:43 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

It seems like your phone "number" is actually numeric text.

Try this:
Select the cell(s)
Format them to Phone Number
Category: Special
Type: phone number

While the cells are still selected...
<data><text-to-columns>Click [Finish]

Does that help?
***********
Regards,
Ron

XL2002, WinXP

Old May 12th 06, 04:44 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Most likely 9999999999 is stored in your column as texts not numbers.
First convert them to numbers then use phone number format.

To convert to numbers, try this:
1) In any cell type number 1;
2) Press Ctrl+C to copy the cell;
3) Select the whole range which contains the text which you want to convert
to numbers;
4) Go to menu: Edit/Paste Special, check Paste -> Values, Operation ->
Multiple.
This will multiply all cells by 1 and automatically convert those texts into
numbers.

--
Best regards,
---

Old May 12th 06, 04:53 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

And yet another way......

="("&LEFT(A1,3)&") "&MID(A1,4,3)&"-"&RIGHT(A1,4)

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3