If Match Part of Text Within Cell, Then Blank

Old May 11th 06, 10:45 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default If Match Part of Text Within Cell, Then Blank

Hi,

I'm trying to create an if statement, with no luck.

Col A Col B Col F
Apples value nanas
Bannanas wackos
Coconuts value

Formulas in Col B:
If any of the text in Col A matches another cell with "nanas" or "wackos" in
it (in this case F1 and F2), then leave the cell blank, otherwise X. X being
another formula that returns some random value.

Essentially I'm trying to create a reference list in column F, for as many
references as possible, maybe up to 20, so if any of the values in col A
match any of the text strings in column F, it leaves the cell blank.

I tried, couldn't do it. Saw something with =Countif(A1,"*nanas*") but
couldn't adjust it.

Thanks very much.
Old May 11th 06, 11:15 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi!

Try this:

=IF(SUMPRODUCT(--(ISNUMBER(SEARCH(F$1:F$2,A1)))),"",your_other_form ula_here)

Copy down as needed.

Biff

Old May 11th 06, 11:59 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Super! How do you guys come up with this stuff? I never would have thought
of that. Thanks so much.

Old May 12th 06, 03:16 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

>How do you guys come up with this stuff?

It's the challenge of problem solving! Believe it or not, it's fun!

Biff