plus and minus sign in cells

Old April 10th 06, 01:05 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default plus and minus sign in cells

Hi,
I think this is an easy one but beyond me! How can I format the cell
to show the result of a sum as a plus or minus (or positive and
negative)? It shows minus values by default but I cannot get it to
show a plus sign. I have tried the Format Cells/custom part with no
joy. example:

Cell B8 = 3
Cell C8 = 2

=SUM(B8-C8) gives me a "1" in cell D8, but I want it to show "+1"

and

Cell B11 = 4
Cell C11 = 5

=SUM(B8-C8) gives me a "-1" in cell D8, which is correct, however I
want this to appear in red

Grateful for any assistance.

Thank you.

--
ivoryhunter
ivoryhunter's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=33327

Old April 10th 06, 01:15 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Something like

+#,##0;[Red]-#,##0;0

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

Old April 10th 06, 01:17 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi ivoryhunter (not very PC)

In Custom format:

Regards

Steve

Old April 10th 06, 01:28 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Thanks Bob and Steve.

Bob - this is spot on - thank you.