How do I collate (match-up) one column's data with another?

Old March 15th 06, 10:33 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default How do I collate (match-up) one column's data with another?

EG: Column A has 100 cells of numeric codes, column B has 200 cells of codes,
each code in column B having associated data in columns C, D, E and F.

How do i collate the data so that the when a code in column A matches that
in column B, the data row from columns B,C,D,E and F are moved to be in line
with the cell in column A?

Thus leaving the 1st 100 rows of data ordered by column A, and subsequent
ancillary data in the second 100 rows.
Old March 15th 06, 02:35 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Insert a column C. In C1 put the formula

=countif(A:A,B1)=0

then drag fill down the column.

this will put False in the rows where there is a match

Now select all the data, in A to G and sort. Primary key on column C,
secondary key on column B. (sort ascending for column C, column B is your
choice)

Now delete column C.

Tom Ogilvy

Old March 16th 06, 04:21 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

THanks Tom! Next time I get an invoice spreadsheet to process, I will try it
out!