missing cell borders in Excel

Old March 7th 06, 05:40 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default missing cell borders in Excel

7-Mar-06

Hope this is the correct Forum for this (Excel General Questions).

Don't know much about Excel (just mainly Word). A typist lady here lost some
cell borders (left and/or right) in just a few rows/columns scattered about
the work sheet. Problem (if it is a problem) seems to start just outside the
filled data columns that I see. For example, there is one such odd cell just
down at the right corner of the last data column and last data row junction
where it looks like the
border between 2 cells has disappeared.

Difficult to explain. Lady not much English and I not much Thai and know
nothing
much about Excel. Don't know how much she knows about Excel nor why she
claims this is a problem. Says she worked 5 yrs with it and never seen this
before.
Think she's blaming me because I did some work in Word on that comp. Happened
before with other little things.

Thought it was memory/graphics/re-draw problem or to do w/ hide/unhide grid
lines, corrupted file, and so on. But not look like. Went thru the
Tools\Options routine and MS Excel Help ad infinitum. Saved copy to .sylk,
html, etc. format, inserted in Word, what have you and also tried the "repair
Excel workbook" thing -
all at another computer I copied it to - but nothing restores those missing
borders.

When I click in those odd cells though, I still get the heavy black outline
cursor
rectangle (whatever you call it) around each individual cell. This indicates,
to me anyway, that all is well with the cells and it may just be a border
problem.
Unfortunately I don't know enough about Excel to work in it and prove my
point to her.

I don't know, maybe somehow the cells in some rows (across 1 thru 3 columns)
got merged.

What's happening? Any ideas anyone?

--
Nak
Old March 7th 06, 05:51 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Sorry. Forgot to mention, Win XP Pro (SP2) / Office 2003.

--
Nak

Old March 7th 06, 09:06 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

go to edit and select all if all the borders should be the same if not
then click on the missing borders. then go to format and then click on
cells click on the borders tab.

Click on the line style you prefer and color (automatic = black). Then
under presets click the outline and the inside buttons then click ok.

Hope this might help you

Old March 7th 06, 09:13 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

if you can click on the cell and it highlights all the merged cells
then click the merge and center button on the toolbar to unmerge them.
LoL sorry I forgot that

Old March 7th 06, 12:42 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

OK. Got that, Justloseit. Appreciate the instant response. Will try check
that out tonite when everyone gone (it is almost 17:00 here now).

No. No cells are merging, per se, that I can see. The click cursor in each
cell goes up to the missing border, NOT beyond, into the next cell.

I believe I did try highlighting adjacent columns and so on and then
removing and
replacing borders (that is, un-hiding/rehiding gridlines). Didn't help. All
same as before.

It just looked like one of those typical graphics/low-mem type things I used
encounter w/ the old OS's and Word Tables. Some cell borders just weren't
showing untill you pressed page-down/page-up a couple of times to settle the
graphics. Unfortunately, in this case it's for real. They're gone for good.

I'll see if your advice will do the trick and let you know.

Thanx again,

--
Nak

Old March 7th 06, 03:21 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

To: justloseit in Excel General
missing cell borders in Excel
20:00 07-Mar-06

Back again. 3rd visit today. As I said, not very well versed in Excel. My
Excel
Edit menu no have "select all". It does have a "clear" and then "all",
"Formats",
etc., on sub-menu.

"Format" also no help. If click "outline" nothing happens - tho' I can
clearly see
the cell border being created in the preview pane. Same for selecting any
individual
border (this part is all similar to MS Word, so don't think I'm screwing up
here).
This is getting stranger and stranger. In "Format", "Protection", the "lock"
box
was ticked. I unticked it to check but made no dif.

Let me add a few more observations. The actual 'working area' where the data
is
shown neatly lined up in the cells and columns, also has a few rows where the
'written' data extends into the adjacent cell. There is no border between
those
2 cells either but if I click in those 2 cells, each cell gets the heavy black
cursor outline (just as with the problem cells she pointed out to me).

This again indicated to me that these are not 'merged' cells but separate,
autonomous cells - except that there's no border between them (but what do
"I"
know about it all).

This situation is the same for about 30% of the rows for columns D & E in the
'working area'. In most rows stretching across these columns, all the cells
have
complete border type outlines, when viewed in the regular 'working view';
except
that the row borders are dimmed. The 'border line' between columns D & E is
also
dimmed (I can understand that).

The written data needs that extra space in that 2nd cell in col E, so that
the
full sentence can be seen. So the sentence extends from column D thru p/o
col E.
There are no figures anywhere in column D or E. The figures are all in
column F.

I should say that all the columns in this data section (actually looks like a
Word Table) have borders (except for the 'dimmed' border between D & E); but
the rows do not. The row borders are dimmed and I can see in both "Format"
and "Print Preview" that there are no "real" border lines for the rows -
except for top and bottom of the 'Table'.

The 'non-working' area right next to this 'Table' is totally blank in 'Print
Preview'. So I find it odd that this lady here was so concerned and raising
cain
over a few missing cell borders in this superfluous area, in the "working
view",
where one could see the dimmed cell outlines (which were not "real" borders
in the first place).

Really odd. Really odd. I do not know what game she is playing but she knows
that I don't know anything about Excel - though I am now slowly starting to
fathom a bit of it.

Somewhere in the distant past I recall someone showing me how to extend data
in this type Excel 'spreadsheet' so that it is fully visible instead of
truncated within a single cell in a column. So me thinks this is a quite
normal
thing and easily done (or undone) by any Excel user. But to me, it's all a
great
mystery.

I hope this clarifies things a bit better. Hopefully you can advise some more.

-----
Nak

--
Nak

Old March 8th 06, 11:22 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Is it possible for you to send me the file without the data or
something and let me look at it if your still having probs.

Old March 9th 06, 04:54 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

To: Justloseit

Back again. Looks like fixed the problem. Friend came by and showed me how.
Had same problem before. There's an easy fix. He just clicked in and "copied"
a "good" cell (empty but w/the border outlines all in place) and then pasted
it
into the 1st cell of one of the rows which had 4 contiguous borderless cells.
This immediately restored ALL the cell borders in that row. Amazing!

I'm still wondering what that lady is trying pull on me. If she has 5 years
experience working w/ Excel, surely she would know about such a basic feature
which was all that was necessary to correct the problem.

In any case, not to worry. All OK w/ Excel again. Got a different battle to
fight now.
Yesterday had all kinds of problems sending out email w/ attachments to
multiple
recipients. Round and round the bush. Both Yahoo and Hotmail were not
cooperating at all and coming back w/ all kinds of error messages.

Finally looked like 2 went out OK; but when jumped back into in-box, had 2
rejects
there from the postman - I thought!

The messages were prefixed w/ "DAEMON - ..." and too late I recalled that this
was a nasty e-mail bug. Clicked to fast and instantly knew. Full of idiotic
misspelled sentences and urging me to click on some links - ha!

I don't know if that bug was responsible for my just previous email-send
problems
or not but if it was, I wonder how because I wasn't aware of any bugs 'til I
clicked on that "daemon..." message.

Scanned the system w/ McAfee and AVG but nothing. Still have horrible email
problems. Looks like I'll have to check this one out at another forum for
email problems.

Thanx again for your efforts. Every bit helps me to familiarize myself a bit
more w/ Excel. Got top try and find me an email forum somewhere now...

--
Nak