'copy&paste' web tabular data into excel

Old March 5th 06, 10:29 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default 'copy&paste' web tabular data into excel

Hi All,

I have data that should always be treated as text.
From a web page I 'copy&paste' bunch of rows. Some of the cells
have data that looks like this '23:59' or 24:01' basically mm:ss
format. I'm only interested in this as text. What happens '23:59' is
displayed as is in the excel cell but on the other paste brings it in
as '24:01:00' instead of '24:01'.

I tried pre-defining that column as text but the 'paste' overrides it
and brings it in as some date/time field.

How to overcome this?

Thanks so much.

--
GottaRun
GottaRun's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=31297

Old March 6th 06, 10:54 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

"GottaRun" > wrote in
message ...

> Hi All,
>
> I have data that should always be treated as text.
> From a web page I 'copy&paste' bunch of rows. Some of the cells
> have data that looks like this '23:59' or 24:01' basically mm:ss
> format. I'm only interested in this as text. What happens '23:59' is
> displayed as is in the excel cell but on the other paste brings it in
> as '24:01:00' instead of '24:01'.
>
> I tried pre-defining that column as text but the 'paste' overrides it
> and brings it in as some date/time field.
>
> How to overcome this?

Paste Special?
--
David Biddulph