What does the symbol ^ mean in Excel formulas?

Old February 11th 06, 12:01 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default What does the symbol ^ mean in Excel formulas?

I am having trouble finding out the purpose of the symbol ^ when using
calculations in Excel. Can anyone help me?
Old February 11th 06, 12:12 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

3^3 = 27 which means 3 raised to the power of 3

Hans

Old February 11th 06, 12:13 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Caret: "^" means "to the power of"

Eg: entering in say, A1: =3^4
means to evaluate 3 to the power of 4
i.e: =3x3x3x3=81

Likewise =2^3 = 2x2x2=8
--
Max
Singapore
news

Old February 11th 06, 12:16 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

It means "raise to the power of" so that 2^3 means 2 raised to the power of 3
(or 2 cubed) which equals 8

Old February 11th 06, 07:05 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

"Desert Rat" wrote:
> I am having trouble finding out the purpose of the
> symbol ^ when using calculations in Excel. Can
> anyone help me?

For future reference, use the key phrase "calculation operators"
in a Help search, and see the Help page "about calculation
operators".
Old February 11th 06, 07:07 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You got lots of good answers but if you need another:
The one-word name for the ^ operator is "exponentiation"
just as + is addition, is multiplication.....
For confirmation of this lovely geek work, see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exponentiation
best wishes

--
Bernard V Liengme
www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme

Old September 23rd 13, 02:43 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On Saturday, February 11, 2006 5:31:27 PM UTC+5:30, Desert Rat wrote:
> I am having trouble finding out the purpose of the symbol ^ when using
> calculations in Excel. Can anyone help me?

GOOD