Profit and Loss Formula

Old January 25th 06, 08:11 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Profit and Loss Formula

I have my data like so:

ColA ColB ColC ColD ColE ColF
Bid Ask PL Side QTY TradePrice
12.7 12.8 -100 Sell 10 12.7
12.7 12.8 0 Buy 10 12.7
12.7 12.8 100 Sell 10 12.9
12.7 12.8 -200 Buy 10 12.9

ColD thru E has my trade data while ColA and ColB has the realtime market
prices. I am trying to come up with a formula for ColC which will calculate
my Profit or Loss for each trade.

For example on the last line, I bought 10 shares at 12.90. To close out the
position at that moment in time I would need to sell them on the "bid" side
at 12.70, thus creating a $200 loss.

I think the formula needs to look at the trade side. If the trade was a buy,
then the "bid" side of the realtime market is used in the Profit and Loss
Formula. If the trade price is greater than the "bid" price, then there is a
profit. If the trade price is less than the "bid" price, then there is a loss
- as in the example.

Similar but opposite for trade side = "sell". The formula will need to look
at the "ask" side of the real time market. If the trade price is greater than
the "ask" price, then there is a gain. If the trade price is less than the
ask price, there is a loss.

Thank you in advance.

Old January 25th 06, 09:32 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I couldn't really follow everything you were saying, but the following
formula seems to work, except the quantity needs to be 1000 rather than 10.
Or it might mean the formulae results needs to be multiplied by 100. Since I
was totally guessing, you'll probably want to check to make sure that this
really is what you intended.

=IF(D2="sell",(E2*F2)-(E2*B2),(E2*A2)-(E2*F2))
--
Kevin Vaughn