How can I link a picture to a particular cell in excel?

Old January 24th 06, 05:36 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default How can I link a picture to a particular cell in excel?

I am trying to link a picture to a particular cell using Microsoft Excel. My
ultimate goal is to us a "VLOOKUP" comand to pull up whatever picute is
referenced in the VLOOKUP command. So far I can't find a way to accept the
object in the cell reference.
Old January 24th 06, 05:45 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

For a VBA solution:
http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/lookuppics.html

For a non-VBA solution:
Assumption: Pictures are stored on Sheet2 to be dynamically shown on Sheet1.

Select Sheet2 and turn off Grid Lines
(Tools>Options>View tab:Uncheck Grid Lines)
1)For each picture to be displayed:
1a. Insert>Picture from file. (select picture and put it in the sheet).
1b. Select the range of cells that contains the picture.
1c. Name that range of cells, using the prefix "pic" followed by the
dropdown list text:
Example for a picture of an Elephant:
Insert>Name>Define
Name: picElephant

2)Build your data validation list on a cell in Sheet1 and pick one of the
items.

3)Create a dynamic range name that refers to that cell:
Insert>Name>Define
Name: ShowMyPic
RefersTo: =INDIRECT("pic"&Sheet1!$A$1)
....or whatever cell you chose.

4)Copy/Paste one of the pictures from Sheet2 to the display cell on Sheet1.

5)With picture selected, type this in the formula bar, then press [Enter]:
=ShowMyPic

The picture will be replaced by the picture referred to by the dropdown list.

Each time you select a different item in the list, the associated picture
will appear in the picture box and resize appropriately.

Does that help?

Regards,
Ron

XL2002, WinXP-Pro