Can you use a formula to make a truly "blank" cell

Old January 23rd 06, 09:13 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Can you use a formula to make a truly "blank" cell

I have a setup that (simplified slightly) looks like:

A1: 20
B1: =if(A1<50,"",A1)
C1: =isblank(B1)

C1: produces "false". Why? Isn't "" supposed to put "nothing" into a cell?

The point of all this: I want the cell to be truly blank, so that it doesn't
graph as a "zero" in a chart. (Yes, I have the option under Tools>Options
checked, so that blank values are not plotted as zeros.) However, it is
graphing my "not quite blank" cells, generated by the above formula, as
zeros. It does skip truly blank values (if I delete the formula altogether),
but doesn't when I try to force blank values using a formula like this.

Any ideas how to get a formula to make a cell think it is blank?

Thank you,

Heidi
Old January 23rd 06, 09:23 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi!

Try this:

=if(A1<50,#N/A,A1)

That'll keep your chart from getting messed up but the downside is that
you'll have #N/A's in some cells.

You can hide them with conditional formatting, though.

Select the cell(s)
Goto Format>Conditional Formatting
Formula is: ISNA(cell_reference)
Click the Format button
Set the font color to be the same as the fill color
OK out.

Biff

Old January 23rd 06, 09:31 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 13:13:03 -0800, "Heidi" >
wrote:

>I have a setup that (simplified slightly) looks like:
>
>A1: 20
>B1: =if(A1<50,"",A1)
>C1: =isblank(B1)
>
>C1: produces "false". Why? Isn't "" supposed to put "nothing" into a cell?
>
>The point of all this: I want the cell to be truly blank, so that it doesn't
>graph as a "zero" in a chart. (Yes, I have the option under Tools>Options
>checked, so that blank values are not plotted as zeros.) However, it is
>graphing my "not quite blank" cells, generated by the above formula, as
>zeros. It does skip truly blank values (if I delete the formula altogether),
>but doesn't when I try to force blank values using a formula like this.
>
>Any ideas how to get a formula to make a cell think it is blank?
>
>Thank you,
>
>Heidi

Well, if a cell contains a formula, then, by definition, it is not blank.

If your goal is to have it ignored in a graph, then set the cell to NA. You
can then use conditional formatting to make the cell appear blank, if you wish.

e.g.:

B1: =IF(A1<50,NA(),A1)

Format/Conditional Formatting/Formula Is: =ISNA(B1)
Format the font color to the same as the background color.

--ron
Old January 23rd 06, 09:38 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

That works great! Thanks so much! Thank you also for thinking ahead to make
the spreadsheet look prettier by "hiding" the error values with conditional
formatting.

Heidi

Old January 23rd 06, 10:47 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Thank you, Ron.

-Heidi