Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Heidi

Default Can you use a formula to make a truly "blank" cell

I have a setup that (simplified slightly) looks like:

A1: 20
B1: =if(A1<50,"",A1)
C1: =isblank(B1)

C1: produces "false". Why? Isn't "" supposed to put "nothing" into a cell?

The point of all this: I want the cell to be truly blank, so that it doesn't
graph as a "zero" in a chart. (Yes, I have the option under ToolsOptions
checked, so that blank values are not plotted as zeros.) However, it is
graphing my "not quite blank" cells, generated by the above formula, as
zeros. It does skip truly blank values (if I delete the formula altogether),
but doesn't when I try to force blank values using a formula like this.

Any ideas how to get a formula to make a cell think it is blank?

Thank you,

Heidi
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Biff

Hi!

Try this:

=if(A1<50,#N/A,A1)

That'll keep your chart from getting messed up but the downside is that
you'll have #N/A's in some cells.

You can hide them with conditional formatting, though.

Select the cell(s)
Goto FormatConditional Formatting
Formula is: ISNA(cell_reference)
Click the Format button
Set the font color to be the same as the fill color
OK out.

Biff

"Heidi" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Ron Rosenfeld

On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 13:13:03 -0800, "Heidi"
wrote:

I have a setup that (simplified slightly) looks like:

A1: 20
B1: =if(A1<50,"",A1)
C1: =isblank(B1)

C1: produces "false". Why? Isn't "" supposed to put "nothing" into a cell?

The point of all this: I want the cell to be truly blank, so that it doesn't
graph as a "zero" in a chart. (Yes, I have the option under ToolsOptions
checked, so that blank values are not plotted as zeros.) However, it is
graphing my "not quite blank" cells, generated by the above formula, as
zeros. It does skip truly blank values (if I delete the formula altogether),
but doesn't when I try to force blank values using a formula like this.

Any ideas how to get a formula to make a cell think it is blank?

Thank you,

Heidi

Well, if a cell contains a formula, then, by definition, it is not blank.

If your goal is to have it ignored in a graph, then set the cell to NA. You
can then use conditional formatting to make the cell appear blank, if you wish.

e.g.:

B1: =IF(A1<50,NA(),A1)

Format/Conditional Formatting/Formula Is: =ISNA(B1)
Format the font color to the same as the background color.

--ron
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Heidi

That works great! Thanks so much! Thank you also for thinking ahead to make
the spreadsheet look prettier by "hiding" the error values with conditional
formatting.

Heidi